Mar 22, 2010

Animation take 2!

So here's another shot Eran brokeown for our enjoyement. So.. enjoy!

This video shows, in slow motion, the progress of the shot from layout to final animation.



This shot didn't have live reference, and because it only consisted of a few frames of action it was very important to get each pose exactly right as well as the timing.
The general feeling I wanted to get across was that Snap free falls from a protective pose which coveys what he went through in the previous round just before he died.
I didn't want him to move around during the fall since, besides the fact that there are few frames and the action comes as a surprise for the viewer, Snap himself isn't aware that he's falling yet.
The pose in which he hits the ground demonstrates that he is unaware that he is falling and not in control over it by hitting the floor with his lower back - which is the most painful and harsh way to hit.
From the moment he hits the floor he realizes he's fallen and so he doesn't hit his head on the ground and he raises his hands back up protectively in what is cut on action to the next shot.

A couple of points (click on animated GIFs to see large version):



Here we can see the work on the first pose where the first thing to do was to put him in a general position, and I thought it would work well if his hands were clutched into fists - as someone trying to defend himself.
In the second version I worked more on the silhouette of the hands and legs, and I opened his fingers back because I felt that it showed more of a helpless defense.
In the third version I made sure to break the symmetry between the legs, so I straightened his farther leg, which helped create the negative space between them. I also exposed his eyes a little bit from above the shield.



In this demonstration we can see I made the difference between the parts which hit first and those which hit last more extreme.
It was important to me that he hit the ground harshly, that's why he falls on his lower back.
In the final version the legs hit later, which helped the pose and the timing move in a more interesting way to the flat pose he next assumes on the floor.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work... you guys are great.... I also
    love to hear somethings about the post process
    and compositing like color grading etc....
    Thanks for sharing with community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, with this kind of information being given I'll gladly watch all these videos with commentary from your bad microphone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! just wanna share that, one of the reasons i started studying and learning 3d arts is because i was inspired by a very awesome 3d animation i saw on youtube " Round 6 " ... thanks for that guys :)

    ReplyDelete